Thursday, February 18, 2021

Lament of the widowed parent

having parented WITH someone and now parenting alone, I find that I don't miss the "helper" nearly as much as I miss the sharer of memories. Sure, it would be great to split the workload of rides and meal prep and bedtime tuck-ins. There are countless ways in which parenting together and sharing the responsibilities is easier and better. But, frankly, independent persons like myself (not to mention control freaks) are more often than not happy to have things run the way I like them without the interference of someone who likes to get kids riled up and excited at bedtime or who make a huge mess in the kitchen and don't clean up afterward... for example. :)

But, what I miss more than anything is that person to ask, "what did we call that little dance move she always did when she was excited?" or "remember when she always yelled 'BIZE!' when she was saying 'surprise!' nearly every time she walked in the room?" There isn't anyone to remember things or comment on those personality quirks we saw coming in their earliest years. Sure, I can retell the stories and that is still fun. But, he isn't here to share the look and remember the story, without my saying a word. 

No comments: